DIY Wooden Circle Sign #2

So a few months ago one of my co-workers purchased a new house and I made her a wooden circle sign for her front porch as a housewarming gift. I made a blog post about it (See here: https://craftytravelgirl.blogspot.com/2021/10/diy-wooden-circle-sign.html ) and it became my most popular post. So when another coworker of mine purchased a new house I decided to make her a different sign and also make a post about it because the previous post was so popular. 

Overall I find these wooden circle signs fairly easy to make. Typically I make them over a few days because I am waiting for paint/stain/poly to dry- and god forbid I have only one project going at a time. 


Materials 

-Wooden Circle- can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or Hobby Lobby 
- Stain in the color of your choice (I used Minwax Provincial) 
-Polyurethane 
- White paint 
-Sawtooth Hanger 
-Glue Gun 
- Wired Ribbon and zip tie.
- Leaves/Flowers of your choice 

Step 1: Purchase wooden circle, decide on design and apply stain based on design 

For my previous project I purchased the wooden circle at Hobby Lobby but I ended up finding out that Lowe's and Home Depot also sell these wooden circles for less than Hobby Lobby. I also noticed that they typically had more in stock than the Puyallup Hobby Lobby does- but that might just be a regional thing. 

I knew I wanted to put the "Please" on the dividing line between the stain and the white paint. I was a little worried that because I was using black vinyl that it would be difficult to read if I used my typical Jacobean stain. I had some Minwax "Provincial" left over from when we re did our floors (see this blogpost: https://craftytravelgirl.blogspot.com/2021/09/how-to-refinish-hardwood-floors-diy.html ). Provincial is still dark but quite a bit lighter than Jacobean. I was pleased with the results. 

Using painter's tape I divided the circle in half and stained the top half with Minwax Provincial. After it dried I applied two coats of polyurethane. Don't skip the Poly!! It makes it way easier to apply the vinyl and it protects the wood from the elements. 



Step 2: Paint the other half of the circle. 

I removed the previous painters tape and applied a new piece as a guide for the white paint. I used a small paint brush very carefully on the dividing line. I needed to apply two coats of paint to get the coverage that I liked 

Step 3: Apply the vinyl 

Using my Cricut I created and cut the vinyl. I applied it to the circle and then applied polyurethane over everything to seal the vinyl and protect it from the elements 


Step 4: Make bow apply flowers and finishing touches 

Using the same youtube tutorial that I used in the last project I created the bow. I also used the ribbon that I had left over from the previous project. After I made the ribbon I hot glued it and the leaves that I got from Hobby Lobby to the top of sign. I also applied a sawtooth hanger to the back of the circle so that it can be hung on the wall/door. 
Youtube link to bow tying- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkagWTpAqA0&t=194s



Overall- she loved it! Another successful DIY project. I love matching these signs to people's personalities. 







 

Comments

Popular Posts